Re: [LUG] Great Plug for Linux

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 9:44 AM, Paul Sutton wrote:
> Yep, i do all my banking online now, the article says
> "True, there's no way to know your Mac or Linux machine isn't compromised,"
>
> There are tools that do this for you,  however,  if using a live cd then
> it's probably not an issue.

Live CDs can be compromised too. If you're using CDs obtained from an
official source then this is very unlikely to have happened (and if it
has, it's probably the manufacturer's responsibility) but it's not too
hard to modify a distro to make it do some nasty things and then make
it available as a live CD. I'm not saying this is likely to happen,
but if lots of people followed Kerbs's advice and switched to Linux
(which, of course, would be great), it'd suddenly become viable for
those with bad intentions to do that. The biggest mistake in security
is to believe that something is absolutely secure.

Also, one thing that a live CD doesn't prevent you from doing is
clicking on a phishing link in an email and send all your banking
details (and, while you're at it, a lot of other personal information)
to notyourbank.com.

Martijn.