Re: [LUG] unix is 40 years old this year

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009, John Horne wrote:

On Tue, 2009-10-13 at 07:28 +0100, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Tue, 13 Oct 2009, Paul Sutton wrote:

http://www.unix.org/

I claim boring old guy!!!

I second that! No...hang on that's not what I meant...

I first used a Unix system when I was 19... That was 28 years ago, so I
didn't quite get into it in it's first decade. It was Unix v6 and was
cosidered old then... Running on a PDP11/40

I was at Uni a little earlier, 32 years ago, but we had a departmental
PDP11 (can't remember the exact model) used for teaching, there was also
a PDP8 although that used just for printing. The main central system was
Multics, but at that time we were on punched cards for our first 2
years. Only the third years and staff were allowed to use a VDU! :-)

Excellent!

What I found stupidly frustrating was just how deep in he dark ages Napier college (where I studued & worked) was... My school had just bought Apple II's so I was ued to thing bein immediate and in-front of me and in colour!

The college had teletypes, and coding forms for the operators to type in your program for you... They stuck to that model as long as they could, but times were a changing!!!

Gordon