Re: [LUG] Best place to buy netbook when leaving the country

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 09:52:46PM +0100, Max Siegieda wrote:
> Now you've caught my interest, if you buy from dixons at the airport they
> remove duty and VAT? what sort of waiting period needs to be gone through?
> if this is something like a week then i'm just gonna buy piles of stuff at
> the airport and drag it with me.

If you are leaving the European Union then you can buy at the Airport
Duty Free. BUT I question sometimes whether it is worth it. For example
if you google "Duty Free Shop Heathrow Airport" then you will get a list
of duty free shops

For Dixon the blurb at
http://www.heathrow-airport-guide.co.uk/shops-t-3.html#After_Security_Control

is "Take a look at the most up-to-date products available to you at
tax-free prices."

If you go to http://www.dixonstaxfree.co.uk

then the blurb is as follows

        Where you see "High Street prices" we are referring to the price in
        Currys Digital stores and guarantee to beat their in store prices.
        We also guarantee to beat the in store prices of Comet, Jessops,
        John Lewis, Tesco and Asda.

        If on the day you visit us, any of the above stores offer a cheaper
        price for the same product and offer (with stock ready to supply) we
        will beat it by 110% of the difference.

Please note "High Street Prices, Same Product and Same Day": not
internet site prices. One reason for this is that the Terminal Operator
(BAA in the case of Heathrow) makes a lot of money from these stores as
rent

Finally if you buy duty free offshore (including when leaving UK) then
when you come back in you may be liable for duty

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.