Re: [LUG] problems with 1.5TB drive

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 12:50:53 +0100, Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
However I've no idea what distro your running, so no idea of what's lurking under the bonnet which may be trying to mount/lock/something with the drive or not ..
kubuntu gutsy with added mythbuntu.

When this drive isn't attached, another drive on an ide controller card is sdb and that works fine. I have sdb1 and sdb2 in fstab, but since this drive new seems to lack a partition table or at least it can't be read, nothing is getting mounted.

   badblocks -s -c 256 /dev/sdb

yatt@yerserver:~$ badblocks -s -c 256 /dev/sdb
badblocks: Permission denied while trying to determine device size
yatt@yerserver:~$ sudo badblocks -s -c 256 /dev/sdb
[sudo] password for yatt:
badblocks: File too large while trying to determine device size