Re: [LUG] problems with 1.5TB drive

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009, Michael Mortimore wrote:

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 12:50:53 +0100, Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
However I've no idea what distro your running, so no idea of what's lurking under the bonnet which may be trying to mount/lock/something with the drive or not ..

kubuntu gutsy with added mythbuntu.

Er, right ...

When this drive isn't attached, another drive on an ide controller card is sdb and that works fine. I have sdb1 and sdb2 in fstab, but since this drive new seems to lack a partition table or at least it can't be read, nothing is getting mounted.

  badblocks -s -c 256 /dev/sdb

yatt@yerserver:~$ badblocks -s -c 256 /dev/sdb
badblocks: Permission denied while trying to determine device size

I should have said "as root ... ", but It would be rather naive to think you can do this without being root...

yatt@yerserver:~$ sudo badblocks -s -c 256 /dev/sdb
[sudo] password for yatt:
badblocks: File too large while trying to determine device size

Hm. The normal limit is 2TB, but maybe this is reporting something the kernel is getting stuck at...

How old is your distro?

Can you recompile the kernel?

Does

  zfgrep CONFIG_LBD /proc/config.gz

show you anything? (Hopefully: CONFIG_LBD=y)

Gordon