Re: [LUG] OT - Small Wireless Access Points?

Dan Lewis wrote:

Now how can people in england not fathom the benefits - its not about how fast you can illegally download a film as has been the yard stick for the uneducated for a while. an attitude of "who cares if it takes 8 hours instead of 4 i would rather save my money" its just dumb.

I think some of it is cost (especially in the current climate) and then there is also things like download limits from ISPs. My ISP (Virgin) give me 20 Meg broadband for about £20 a month although I then have to pay another £11 a month for the phone line and £8 for unlimited calls to landlines (which will be going, I've only just realised that I'm out of my free 6 month period). 50 Meg broadband is only about another £8 but at the moment I can't warrant spending the extra when it can go on other more important things. When you're on a low budget and have a family of 5 to support then some things just have to go.

I think slowly it's getting a bit better now more ISPs are installing kit in exchanges, but until BT start rolling out fibre to the premises/cabinets we're going to be pretty much limited to what we can get.

I dunno, maybe it's because BT have a monopoly, maybe it's because BT lost a whole wad of cash on Global Services, maybe the network should have got some investment? Maybe the government should invest?

I just don't know.

I am happy however with 20 Meg broadband (although, the wife hasn't moaned about the £40 bill, I wonder if she'd notice if I upgraded to 50 Meg broadband and dropped the free phone calls).
I was out shopping for a new package deal for my friend and for 360 swedish krowns a month - 30 pounds he got an entry level TV box with 720p and recording - like the one sky does in the uk. then there was a 20 mb internet connection, home telephone line and mobile phone contract with calls to mobiles costing 29ore per min which is about 2.5p. My point is all of this comes into the house through a combination of cables from the phone jack see here for diagram http://www.telia.se/privat/kundservice/support/tv/digitaltv/guider/installation_digitalbox.page or here for brochure showing real units http://www.telia.se/files/Inst_handb_TeliaDigiTV_B.pdf

and of course the phone comes through the phone jack as well :)

Sounds a bit like Virgin. I get basic TV free with my Virgin package although it's not high definition. If I wanted the HD box I think I'd have to pay something like £75 installation plus another £5 a month for the service. I gather that on the basic package which I am on I would probably get one or two HD channels.

Now if they dropped the installation charge I would order it tomorrow, but alas they haven't as yet so I'm probably going to hang on until Freeview HD comes out, maybe they might dangle a carrot my way then.
all of this is possible because of the infrastructure built up over the years where the relevant telecommunication nodes are very dense throughout the city giving everyone good access

Well that's good for them :-)

This is Devon & Cornwall though, we're all kind of spread out. I gather that in the larger cities such as Exeter and Plymouth the services offered by ISPs is a little better (more LLU connections). Heck, in Teignmouth which is smaller than Torquay, they can get a wide range of LLU services, we can't get that on my local exchange. I presume though it's probably down to the fact Virgin missed Teignmouth/Dawlish/Starcross etc and just went straight to Newton Abbot/Torquay/Paignton/Plymouth.
why then is england blind to this overwhelming fact - better access means a better life for a lot of people (disabled, elderly and sick to name just a few) at an affordable price when they dont have much to begin with. I know they are upgrading but its to little to late, hampered down by a bureaucratic monstrosity! few had to say it - biggest waste of money our councils and government.

Ahh at the moment the government is just thinking about giving everyone a minimum of 2 Meg. I don't see the government stopping wasting money just yet somehow.
I think i will stop there
LOL, yeah I'm getting a complex about my basic 20 Meg broadband now. :-(

Rob