Re: [LUG] OT - Small Wireless Access Points?

ahh that is unfortunate. i am living in sweden at the moment (gothenburg) and an interesting thing happened here, one of the isps gave clients a fon wifi router when they signed up so here they are all over the place.

Also here in sweden no one really shops for low bandwidth broadband anymore. In fact the companies barely bother advertise it as they are spending money in marketing wireless 3g broadband and are in a price war at the moment. The result is that by and large every home with internet has a 20mbit connection with unlimited data cap. you wouldnt even notice someone taking a bit on the fon network.

But sweden is a bit unique with its insanely large fibre optic network. Its great :) and its gonna get better Yay!!

Infact they use it for all kinds of things - they are going to use it to get to the arrays for there next generation 4g network which should be up and running around the end of next year.

"In 2013, the operators expect 99 percent of the Swedish population to have access to mobile broadband at speeds of up to 80 Mbit/s in rural areas and up to 150 Mbit/s in urban areas. The roll-out includes an extension of the GSM network by 30-50 percent, resulting in better indoor and outdoor coverage on mobile voice communication."

i dont even know what i would do with a wireless 150 mbit/s connection - i suppose at home i could make video conference style calls using 3d technology at ultra high resolutions. And i suppose i could then have glasses made with two cameras built in so from home i could then "see" through someone elses eyes. ummm if i was out i could start taking photos in raw mode on my 10 meg nikon and upload them direct to my home server. each photo is about 60 mb and i can take 300 in a day - i am an architecture student and find alot interesting. that would be about 18 gb. would be handy to load them up and not have to worry about sd card failure (which if it has happened to you you know is a real bitch!!! my sympathies to those of us)

What would you do LUG?

Dan

2009/10/7 Eion MacDonald <eionmac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Dan Lewis wrote:
> fon is awesome - i borrowed a friend of mines account while travelling
> through europe. I had to know where they were though which was a down
> side - but often as not i could jest walk around for a bit and then it
> would detect one.

Where my 'spare bandwidth goes". Fon maps show only a few available
where I bide in occupied Lancashire

Regards
Eion MacDonald

Joan Crawford  - "I, Joan Crawford, I believe in the dollar. Everything I earn, I spend."