Re: [LUG] OT - SIP providers?

On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 10:51:01AM +0100, Grant Sewell wrote:
> Hi all,

v> I've been asked by the-people-who-wear-ties to look into out phone
> costs, specifically to compare costs of international calling with our
> current provider (UKTelCo) with Skype.  I'm broadening my defined scope
> of comparison and would like to look into other forms of VoIP as well.
>
> It would seem that Asterisk et al are the way to go.  And that's where
> my knowledge of VoIP seems to stop.
>
> We have 2xADSL lines, neither are being fully utilised, so we could
> have our VoIP going through one of those.  Do we need to sign up with a
> SIP provider or can we be one ourselves?  If the former, any
> recommendations?  If the latter, how to do it?  Etc, etc.
>
> Any "idiots guides" to VoIP/SIP?  The vast majority of things I've come
> across seem to jump straight in with an assumption that you already
> know how VoIP/SIP systems work... I don't.

One provider that seems very helpful is http://www.drogon.net/dsx/voip/

:))

I have used skype and it works and is cheap
I have used vonage, ditto. Gave them up because I did not want to tie
into a closed solution

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.