Re: [LUG] Cups again

On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 07:29:01 +0000
aaron moore wrote:

> Hi
> Further to my recent post on trying to share my linux printer on home
> network, I have posted a number of files in the hope that someboby can
> help sort this out.
> the last lines of /var/log/cups/error_log http://tinypaste.com/b02e6
> /etc/samba/smb.conf http://tinypaste.com/73f9d00
> cups server file from cups GUI http://tinypaste.com/3d2a9
> Hope someone can help me out here
> Thanx
> Aaron

In your smb.conf file you seem to be missing a couple of things.

In the [global] section you might want to add the following lines:
   load printers = yes
   printing = cups

Also, you have the [print$] share for the printer drivers, but the $ at
the end denotes that Windows machines will not see it when browsing...
you can get to it by explicitely going to it (ie Start -> Run ->
\\server\print$).  DO NOT remove the $ sign as Windows requires it to
be "hidden" in order to find the drivers properly.  *Grant shakes his
head*.

More than that, you are missing the printer definition itself:
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   browseable = no
   path = /var/spool/samba
   printable = yes
   guest ok = no
   read only = yes
   create mask = 0700

As an aside, you have the "netlogon" share... unless you're going to be
running this Samba server as a Windows "domain controller", you really
don't need this.

Grant.