Re: [LUG] ADSL modem/router woes

Michael Mortimore wrote:
I suppose they wouldn't understand what you're saying. Better send them a letter instead.
Not at all true - understanding is one thing, not being able to do anything about it is a deeper issue.
I know this isn't what I said, but what i meant was that they could check the line for faults (or get BT to do it?). I would have thought that having problems and trying so many routers would be a good reason to suspect that the problem may not be the router.

That's true enough. When I worked in TS we were able to give BT Wholesale a call and ask them to check if a customer's DSL signal was nadged or if the problem was elsewhere - such as authentication at their end not ours. That of course was after we'd run through all the diagnostics we could ourselves.

Thinking of this subject reminds me... there was a default login customers could use to check if their phone line could log into the authentication at BT's end. That would help us work out if BT had setup the account properly on our side. Unfortunately I can't remember wth it was... bt_user@ somethingorother.

Kind regards,

Julian