Re: [LUG] Projecting a portion of a screen

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 23:35:48 +0100
Dan Lewis wrote:

> 2009/9/20 Alan Pope <alan@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> > 2009/9/20 Chronoppolis <chronicdee@xxxxxxxxx>:
> > > We have a older 800x600 projector and a modern wide screen laptop
> > > with something like 1600x900. as such cloning the monitor across
> > > does funny things and it doesnt look good at all - what i was
> > > wondering was if i
> > could
> > > project just an 800x600 portion of the wide screen - for example
> > > the text area of an email. has anyone heard of such a program?
> >
> > Why not just run the laptop at 800x600 and clone the entire screen?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Al.
> >
> i can and failing all us will do this - its just that it leaves the
> widescreen laptop looking very weird as everything is stretched out.
> worst case scenario this is what i will do. would be ok if you could
> stop the distortion by having blank black strips on each side like
> they do with widescreen tvs showing old films...
> Dan

I have found that some laptops have an option in the BIOS to stretch
non-native resolutions.  Grantedly it's not something I've seen very
often, but when available it's a very handy option to turn off -
essentially 800x600 would then take up a small 4x3 box in the middle of
the screen.

Grant.