[LUG] Projecting a portion of a screen

I have researched this online but am a bit of a loss, im sure what i need exists but i cannot find it...

Let me describe what i need.
At my work i have a patient who is bed bound with poor eyesight, the patient is also very week and can no longer hold a book. So what i am setting up is a projector above the bed pointing too a screen that comes down at the foot of the bed. this will be able to be connected to a video capture camera, pc and video source. the video capture will allow for papers such as letters and books to be viewed at a much greater size. Connecting to a pc will allow for the patient to view and participant in emailing, web surfing and video calling (very desirable for someone bed bound) rather then before when an aid woud dictate to the patient and last but not least movies and such could be viewed as well.

My problem:
We have a older 800x600 projector and a modern wide screen laptop with something like 1600x900. as such cloning the monitor across does funny things and it doesnt look good at all - what i was wondering was if i could project just an 800x600 portion of the wide screen - for example the text area of an email. has anyone heard of such a program?

thanks
dan

ps and unfortunately the laptop runs vista :(

--

Samuel Goldwyn  - "I'm willing to admit that I may not always be right, but I am never wrong."