Re: [LUG] Conficker borks London council

Martijn Grooten wrote:

> Well, the council seems big enough to me to have its own IT
> department. Their policy could have been that you can't insert USB
> sticks (or CDs) unless you give them to IT; that sounds neither
> unreasonable nor unworkable to me.

7,500 employees of Ealing Borough council.

I don't know how many sites they are spread over....

At a guess staff members cost 100,000 a year, and I'm guessing it would
be a full time job (along with answering the question - why does my USB
X not work - x being "Phone, Camera, Printer, USB storage, .....").

Along with sending the data to a central site, and the delay in
exchange, it might cost as much as this episode.

Nah micromanaging such is madness unless strictly necessary. And they
could have prevented this one by patching (and sensible policies), which
they ought to have anyway.

Ironically the council had been deploying ZENWorks across their
desktops, which is just the kind of thing needed to manage such a
network. Be interesting to get the low down on what really happened, see
if the ZENworks boxes had been upgraded (and thus presumably protected,
or not - I'm guessing not).

 Simon