Re: [LUG] Conficker borks London council

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 11:38 PM, Simon Waters wrote:
> Nah an infected stick is just a sign of bad IT practices elsewhere.
>
> That it caused problems is the issue.
>
> USB sticks are useful, and I think the idea one can micromanage data
> down to every last bit is living in the past of IT. Sure there are IT
> systems that can do that kind of micromanagement, and there are
> situations where it is appropriate (nuclear weapon design for example).
> But council housing departments?

Well, the council seems big enough to me to have its own IT
department. Their policy could have been that you can't insert USB
sticks (or CDs) unless you give them to IT; that sounds neither
unreasonable nor unworkable to me. Well, and disabling autorun of
course.

>>> which is how I discovered it was Conficker -- but then I called the
>>> print shop, to warn them, and they weren't the least concerned.
>
> Name and shame.

Kallkwik in Exeter. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if this is
common policy for print shops.

Martijn.