Re: [LUG] department of work and pensions = FAIL

Rob Beard wrote:
> Gordon Henderson wrote:
>> Not just DWP...
>>
>> http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2009/08/03/ie6-will-not-die/
>>
>> Gordon
>>

> Quote from Orange...
>
> "Under no circumstances should Firefox be downloaded. Downloading any
> application from the internet is against Orange policy. There is NO
> support for Firefox in the operational environment. Orange Web
> applications are all designed to run on IE6 and therefore there is a
> likelihood that functionality will be impaired on Firefox. "
>

> Now that makes me wonder WHY staff are being given rights to install
> anything anyway, surely they would lock down the desktop to stop things
> like this.  Thinking about it a bit further though, surely that could be

Possibly they use IE as an application launcher, something Firefox can't
do. Also likely to be combined with apps which "must" run under a user
with admin privs.

> discriminative, for instance if a member of staff has some sort of
> diability which requires additional software which requires say, IE 7
> for instance then surely they would have to cater for this.
>
> Sounds to me like bloody lazy developers.

"Lazy" being the polite way of putting it.

> It kind of reminds me of a client who does a lot of stuff through a
> bespoke web interface, they are tied to IE (currently 7) due to the fact
> that the web developers (who write commercial web sites) couldn't make
> their site entirely compliant with Firefox.  I won't name any names as I

Even though it's often looks like more effort has gone into writing
browser specific code than if they'd just produced basic HTML and let
the browser do its job.