Re: [LUG] department of work and pensions = FAIL

Gordon Henderson wrote:

> Not just DWP...
>
> http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2009/08/03/ie6-will-not-die/
>
> Gordon

Quote from Orange...

"Under no circumstances should Firefox be downloaded. Downloading any
application from the internet is against Orange policy. There is NO
support for Firefox in the operational environment. Orange Web
applications are all designed to run on IE6 and therefore there is a
likelihood that functionality will be impaired on Firefox. "

Now that makes me wonder WHY staff are being given rights to install
anything anyway, surely they would lock down the desktop to stop things
like this.  Thinking about it a bit further though, surely that could be
discriminative, for instance if a member of staff has some sort of
diability which requires additional software which requires say, IE 7
for instance then surely they would have to cater for this.

Sounds to me like bloody lazy developers.

It kind of reminds me of a client who does a lot of stuff through a
bespoke web interface, they are tied to IE (currently 7) due to the fact
that the web developers (who write commercial web sites) couldn't make
their site entirely compliant with Firefox.  I won't name any names as I
don't want to breach my client's trust but again, I do think they should
be writing standards complaint web apps.

Rob