Re: [LUG] department of work and pensions = FAIL

Rob Beard wrote:

> Sounds to me like bloody lazy developers.

Nah it is a management problem.

Either you write web apps because you want independence, or you don't.

There is little point in writing web applications that are heavily tied
to IE in a corporate environment, since you might as well have made a
native Windows application which is easier and cheaper. There is some
case for web apps that work better with your current desktop
environment, I did that once with Java Apps which had plugins to work
with MS Office. But that was very much do small tight integration with
desktop tools in use, so that they could do things like address letters
in Word using the Java applications database.

Developers will typically do as little as they can get away with,
laziness in developers isn't necessarily a bad thing.

The MOD IE6 claim is rather depressing, since IE6 has serious security
issues that probably will never be fixed. Might get fixed if they are
actively exploited in the wild, but I'd expect other countries would
have the resources to figure out what is wrong with IE6 and do a
targeted attack if needed. Let us hope this is some sort of secured
network environment, and not surfing the web at large.

The kicker at the moment is performance. Javascript heavy web apps are
running an order or magnitude quicker in FF/Opera/Safari/Chrome than
they do in IE7. IE 8 is a little faster than IE7 but still totally
outclassed by the other common browsers.