Re: [LUG] waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Shaun Orchard wrote:
> 2009/7/31 John Hansen <whitover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>

>> The problem as I see it that BT and the electricity companies have been
>> allowed to continue
>> to distribute using overhead cables. They should have been obliged to
>> put them underground
>> in concrete pipes or the like. This would have facilitated the use of
>> fiber optics.
>>
>> John W Hansen
>>

> I believe the cost of putting cables underground is fairly high, and
> rather inconvenient for just about everyone while they do it.
Hi Shaun,

That doesn't seem to bother the utility companies - gas, electricity,
water - when they regularly dig up the pavements.  In fact if they
coordinated their efforts[1] then they could bury phone lines while
taking advantage of other works already going on.  They would obviously
have some instances (probably a lot) where they were the only reason the
road/pavement was up, but I don't think inconvenience to the public is
the reason they don't do it.  Cost, yes I'll agree there, but that's
probably the only reason, and considering they are not in the main
delivering what they promise, then I think we as consumers have a right
to expect some investment until they do.

Kind regards,

Julian

[1]  I know, silly me, but I can dream can't I? :)