Re: [LUG] waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

2009/7/31 John Hansen <whitover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> The problem as I see it that BT and the electricity companies have been
> allowed to continue
> to distribute using overhead cables. They should have been obliged to
> put them underground
> in concrete pipes or the like. This would have facilitated the use of
> fiber optics.
>
> John W Hansen

I believe the cost of putting cables underground is fairly high, and
rather inconvenient for just about everyone while they do it. Not to
mention being a lot more difficult to maintain. Anyway, I think you
can string fibre across poles (Verizon in the US have done it for
their fibre to the home rollout):

http://www.bricklin.com/fiosinstall.htm

Also, there is that old chestnut about BT apparently wanting to fibre
the country up back in the 80s, but Thatcher, having just handed out
the cable franchises, refused to allow them to do it (and that is also
why until the mid 2000s, BT weren't allowed to run a television
service). Not sure whether the former is true, though.

Shaun