Re: [LUG] lug website - about Us

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 09:54:10 +0100
Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have put comments in ( ) as some parts do need some improvement.
>
> About Us:

Create a new page in the About D&C GLUG section of the homepage using
the wiki interface.

> Established in 1999, the Devon and Cornwall GNU / Linux user group is a
> group of like minded people who all have an interest in using the GNU /
> Linux operating system.  We also have interests in Free software so we
> are not just limoted to issues relating to Linux itself.
>
> Spread out over the Devon and Cornwall area,  by joining the LUG you are
> sure to find local user who can help or by asking on the mailing list
> you can take advantage of the expertise of over 200 members,  from home
> users,  new users,  from a wide range of backgrounds and interests (that
> bit needs rewording).
>
> Join Us :
>
> Membership is free of charge and all you need is a working e-mail
> address in order to sign up.
>
> Ok thats a start anyway.  I am thinking this can go on the very first
> page,  the one people see when the goto www.dcglug.org.uk.

Or just add some content introducing the current sections and adding
something inside About D&C GLUG.

Any page that is a wiki page is there specifically for members to edit.
If what we have is mainly what I put up there from the original
website, that can only be because members haven't edited the pages.
Please, go ahead and edit.

> <insert section on joining here>

Or just link to the join page. If anyone thinks that the PHP pages
themselves need improved content, let me know.

(and yes, I do know that the GnuPG interface is currently borked for
adding or updating keys but that isn't used often and I am quite happy
to do those changes manually. It's actually a very difficult issue to
fix.)

> Once you are a member you have full access to the wiki and can add your
> own content.  You can also read and edit your member profile,  and
> browse the member book library so you can borrow books from other members.

The member book library was a good idea when it was first designed but
I'm not sure how much use it gets anymore.

The rest probably just needs to be merged into the homepage itself.

--

Neil Williams