Re: [LUG] Linux booting in less than 1.5 seconds

Gordon Henderson wrote:

> If you can uncompress and write to RAM at the same speed as you can read
> from storage media, then having a compressed kernel should always be
> faster as you're reading less in from the chosen media (Flash, hard-drive,
> cd-rom, usb key, etc.) It will all boil down to the efficiency of the
> uncompression.

Agreed - which is why I queried it.

Reading around it looks like there may be odd constraints on memory
usage when uncompressing the kernel, which might explain why
uncompressing is slow. But I'd have thought there would be better
solutions if this is the problem.