Re: [LUG] Linux booting in less than 1.5 seconds

Rob Beard wrote:

> The catch is, it's been optimised for their embedded platform which is
> aimed at use in vehicle systems (so car displays and satnav etc).
>
> Still, 1 second boot is pretty cool.

All the fast boots are optimised for hardware, since looking around for
hardware is slow, especially if you do it carefully, and drivers tend to
assume long time outs, and long periods to wait for responses.

The uncompressed kernel is interesting, I've often wondered why Linux
seems so slow to uncompress the kernel, also it is usually quicker to
read compressed files off disk and then uncompress them than read the
whole file so something is odd here. Is something silly going on at that
point?

DHCP is also fun for desktop boxes, since the standard mandates a delay
orders of magnitude larger than the response required for any network
not running on carrier pidgeons.

Intel got the EEE boot in 5 seconds, which I think is bordering on "good
enough" for desktop use given the slow start to most monitors, for as
long as you have them both on the same power switch.

I think fast boot beats hibernate for most folks. Sure hibernate is
useful, but restarting clears out the mess allows someone else to login
easily etc.