Re: [LUG] Linux booting in less than 1.5 seconds

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jul 2009, Rob Beard wrote:

<snip>
>> Looks like Montavista have tailored a version of Linux which boots in
>> less than 1.5 seconds.
>>
> Very impressive...
>
> I've recently built up a system to run under the AMD Geode processor -
> 500MHz i686 look-a-like chip.
>
> Power on to boot is a few seconds. I could probably make it less, but I
> can't turns off the memory test which prints progress out via a serial
> line, then waits a second for the CF IDE drive to settle.
>
> So to boot - it needs to load a compressed bzImage off flash, then load a
> compressed initrd.gz off the same flash, uncompress them then launch the
> kernel. That alone takes some 5-10 seconds.
>
> Then the kernel starts - it takes a relatively long time to get through
> all the kernel initialisation - CPU, memory, hardware (on-board IDE,
> Ethernet, serial) Even in quick mode (no printout via the serial line)
> this still takes some 20 seconds.
>
> Then /sbin/init starts and the usual /etc/init.d/xxx scripts get their
> chance to initialise.
>
> So how can they get the entire kernel startup to a second?!? If I could
> get power-on to /sbin/init down to under 10 seconds I'd be extremely
> happy...
>
> Gordon

As far as I know (after watching the demo video) they use an
uncompressed kernel with only drivers which the hardware requires and
use DMA access to transfer the stuff into memory, I gather too that the
hardware is pretty limited due to it being designed for in-car use.

It also says that it has to be able to withstand the power being cut.

I dare say that if it was to do other stuff other than the single task
it's designed for then it would probably take longer to boot.

Rob