Re: [LUG] Micromart- Linux

Alan Pope wrote:
> 2009/7/16 Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> Yes but to a new user they are faced with a somewhat bewildering array
>> of choices if they type in Linux distros on google and go to a site that
>> lists them,  remember we are talking about people who just use computers
>> not tech users, or know how to turn a computer on.
>>

> Why would a new user type "distros" into a search engine? It's not a
> word that most non-Linux people use. Surely they will type either
> "linux" or "ubuntu" into a search engine. This would (usually)
> linux.org, wikipedia, linux.com, google news, Ubuntu and Debian.
>
>> I think its one of the arguments,  too many distros,  so this needs to
>> be addressed (see my website post), if we can update the website we can
>> address this issue,  and have a section on what distro to use,  and why
>> there are so many,
>>

> You're on dangerous ground :)

OK but surely a simple explanation would be fine,  I don't want to start
 flame wars over which distro to use,  just perhaps give people informed
choices.  And address the concern raised in this article,  surely a
paragraph entitled
with easy,  then set up another computer that can act as a web
development desktop with lots of useful tools for web editing, including
several browsers and you can even run different versions of IE through
the emulator, to test the site.

why are there so many distributions of Linux? This can have a answer
like - this is to appeal to as many different uses,  you can get small
lightweight distributions or older computers,   terminal services,  and
distributions aimed and developed by people in a very specific area such
as chemistry where all the useful applications can be installed with
ease, and the distribution can be taylored to their needs,  For the most
part you will be able to use debian, redhat, fedora, ubuntu and have
everything you need to hand.

something along those lines.   Highlight the very nature of this choice
gives the comminity strength and diversity.  You don't need a gui to run
a webserver or file server so why do you need to have a gui on a Linux
system running a webserver,  hence, in this case you can create a distro
that sets up a fully working webserver quickly.

I am not trying to start anything here, just trying to suggest how we
can address these issues, that clearly have been raised, will pick upa
copy of micromart on the way out today and have a proper read.

Paul

> Cheers,
> Al.

- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net
Support Open and ISO standard file formats ISO 26300 odf
http://www.odfalliance.org