Re: [LUG] Linux booting in less than 1.5 seconds

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009, Simon Waters wrote:

> Gordon Henderson wrote:
>>
>> and possibly even an uncompressed initrd
>
> The Intel folk lost initrd entirely because it added half a second, and
> on well defined hardware it doesn't add a whole lot.

I use initrd for a somewhat... different reason to most. The kernel is
statically compiled for the hardware, so It does not contain modules,
initialisation scripts, etc. it contains the entire root fileystem of the
unit which then runs entirely in RAM.

One of my running boxes:

   dsx$ df -h
   /dev/ram0             136M   83M   54M  61% /

and I really can, as root do:

   rm -rf /

without any issues whatsoever. Just power cycle and it's back :)

I could run root directly out of flash, but that's slower and even though
flash devices are 'good' these days with automatic write wear levelling,
and such-like, I still feel that if you don't need to write to it, then
don't.

Gordon