Re: [LUG] Linux booting in less than 1.5 seconds

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009, Rob Beard wrote:

> Gordon Henderson wrote:
>>
>> So how can they get the entire kernel startup to a second?!? If I could
>> get power-on to /sbin/init down to under 10 seconds I'd be extremely
>> happy...
>>
> As far as I know (after watching the demo video) they use an
> uncompressed kernel with only drivers which the hardware requires and
> use DMA access to transfer the stuff into memory, I gather too that the
> hardware is pretty limited due to it being designed for in-car use.
>
> It also says that it has to be able to withstand the power being cut.
>
> I dare say that if it was to do other stuff other than the single task
> it's designed for then it would probably take longer to boot.

Indeed - Now I could put an uncompressed kernel on my units too, and
possibly even an uncompressed initrd - although I suspect they are running
out of a live flash device at that point.

Copying a kernel from flash into RAM still takes time - unless they're
running the flash as RAM..

Even so, my kernels are compiled exactly for the hardware - no modules.
Actually a bit too 'exact' as I don't include drivers for USB or the
hardware crypto devices on-board.

Surviving a power cut is relatively easy too - my PBXs do it, although
they do have a live ext2 filesystem on them - the boot side of things is
wholly static.

It's still impressive, and I'm jealous!

Gordon