Re: [LUG] OT. Winpooch

Adrian Midgley wrote:
> John Hansen wrote:
>>> I have been installing programs on my wife's PC, which runs
>>> Windows XP, after a new HDD was inserted. One programme
>>> is Clamwin which also invited me to install Winpooch. This
>>> is a very annoying programme which interferes with all
>>> activities. I have removed it in via the Control Panel but
>>> it still remains active.
>>> If any of you know how to complete get rid of Winpooch I
>>> would be very grateful for advice.
>>>

>>> John W Hansne
>>>

>> Thanks for your helpful comments.
>>
>> The answer to the problem is simple but eluded me:
>>
>> To uninstall Winpooch, you need to shut it down first.
>> To do this right-click on the tray icon and then click "shutdown".
>> Now you can uninstall it by launching the uninstaller.
>

> Poorly designed u9staller there, unless there is some constraint on them
> that they may not stop a program.

Seems poorly designed installer / uninstaller is par the course with
windows (ok there are installers for some Linux software that are not
perfect).

at least with debian for example all software has to go through strict
procedures so it works, and does not break other software,  or i get
that impression anyway,  it seems under windows there are a range of
installers / uninstallers all of which do the same job but in a
different way.

I think its been said here before some programmers are simply sloppy,
lazy, or incompetent, or a combination of all of those.  I don't think
you would get away with a package in debian that can't be uninstalled
properly,  ok if your using something 3rd party game, or something that
has not been through the package process then you may get problems but
if that package is OSS it can be fixed, if its 3rd party and propriatory
then it's up to the vendor to fix.

Even this is being addressed now,  or the community is trying to at
least.  Nvidia drivers used to be a nightmare,  now ubuntu at least
makes the process pretty easy,  doesn't always work, but it's a better
situation than a few years ago, even 12 months ago.

Paul

- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net
Support Open and ISO standard file formats ISO 26300 odf
http://www.odfalliance.org