Re: [LUG] What does the GPL mean to you?

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 10:05:58 +0100
"Dave" <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Here's a possibly controversial question - What does the GPL mean to you?

Freedom with respect.

> Does it mean I can simply take any program released under the GPL (e.g.
> AmroK) and shape it to my tastes accordingly using the Source Code and then
> (of course) release my copy under the GPL (and possibly send the patches
> back to the original author to do with as he/she wishes).

Yes. You don't have to release it and if you don't, the GPL has no effect.

> Or does it mean if I am writing my own Application and see something in
> another GPL'd program I like I can take the code and utilise the ideas in it
> for my own application? - Assuming I then release my application (as I
> would) under the GPL

Yes. You should encourage the original upstream team to package the
relevant code into a shared library which both teams can use if the
copied section is large. Embedding copies of code in more than one
upstream package is a *bad* idea and a bad use of the GPL.

> also does this make me legal, decent, honest and
> truthful or does it make me a plagiariser along the lines of MS Embrace,
> Extend, and Extinguish?

Sharing is the basis of freedom and without sharing there is no
freedom. Include the copyright attribution of the copied code and
everyone is happy. Make a bad choice and copy thousands of lines of
code into another application when you should be separating the code
into a library and you'll live to regret it by typical bit rot and
programming reasons, not because of any ethical dilemma from the
process of making the copy itself.

--

Neil Williams