Re: [LUG] [Fwd: Google to launch operating system]

Benjamin M. A'Lee wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 05:04:07PM +0100, tom wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure I'd want the code for Google Mail - or facebook come to that.
>> That kind of web application will never be free and I will never want
>> it. I use yahoo mail because I'm too lazy to configure my own online
>> mail from home but the 'someone else in control' makes them not-wanted
>> systems for me.
>> Tom te tom te tom
>>

> That’s my point exactly. “Google Chrome OS” is web-applications only;
> unless there are free webapps to do what you want (which, chances are,
> there aren’t at the the moment), you’re stuck using a proprietary
> system.

Thats because the floss community havent written them - not a fault of
Chrome per se. I'm nor sure about chrome but I would imagine from the
stuff that comes with it you can write your own apps quite easily.
The reason why the FLOSS community haven't written them is because
they're not really wanted by the floss community - they are
intrinsically 'proprietary' in the sense that someone has to manage them
on a grand scale to make them 'work' and that require a very large
portion of the market to fund them and competition kills them.
Tom te tom te tom