Re: [LUG] Hosting a site on my PC.

On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 10:38 AM, Shaun Orchard wrote:
> Even if the version of Windows you have didn't come with IIS, I don't
> think there is anything physically stopping you from downloading
> Apache and using that. In fact I probably would do that instead of
> using IIS in the first place.

So would I. I've never run Apache on a Windows machine, but it's been
available for a long time, so I expect it to work quite well. One
thing you should be aware of though, is that your anti-virus software
might try to block it. (A friend of mine had this problem, and she
then panicked because she thought she had a virus.) Not because Apache
is bad in any kind of way, but because running a web server on a home
computer is likely to indicate some active malware on the machine.

For similar reasons, it might be best to check with your ISP and make
sure they won't get suspicious from a lot of port 80 traffic going to
your machine.

Martijn.