Re: [LUG] Hosting a site on my PC.

Martijn Grooten wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 10:38 AM, Shaun Orchard wrote:
>
>> Even if the version of Windows you have didn't come with IIS, I don't
>> think there is anything physically stopping you from downloading
>> Apache and using that. In fact I probably would do that instead of
>> using IIS in the first place.
>>

> So would I. I've never run Apache on a Windows machine, but it's been
> available for a long time, so I expect it to work quite well. One
> thing you should be aware of though, is that your anti-virus software
> might try to block it. (A friend of mine had this problem, and she
> then panicked because she thought she had a virus.) Not because Apache
> is bad in any kind of way, but because running a web server on a home
> computer is likely to indicate some active malware on the machine.
>
> For similar reasons, it might be best to check with your ISP and make
> sure they won't get suspicious from a lot of port 80 traffic going to
> your machine.
>
> Martijn.

IIRC the web services from windows on non server machines are connection
limited - to 5 or 10 users - even the IIS server is limited to 10
connection unless you pay for more licences. Most of the time this will
not be a problem - I've seen large shops run happily on that but if your
likely to get lots of hits at once and can install apache use that.
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html can install that, mysql php
and a whole host of useful things in one go and allow you to relatively
easily move to a real server without having to pay MS tax.
Tom te tom te tom