Re: [LUG] Hosting a site on my PC.

On Sat, Jul 04, 2009 at 12:15:41AM +0100, jon.davey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi, I asked recently about web hosting services as my ISP doesn't provide me
> with any space but I have been considering recently hosting the site on my
> desktop PC. I can do this, right? As far as I know at the moment it seems
> possible. I could set the computer up to allow other users to connect. This
> I have a slight grasp of. What I can't get my head around though is how do I
> get a domain name to point to the IP address of my PC?

You set up the DNS with the IP address (probably of your router). You
most likely will need some sort of dynamic DNS service, unless you have
a static IP.

> This IS possible right? I bought my current PC froma gamer. It's some kind
> of stupidly fast 'dual core' and it has LIGHTS ON THE RAM!...So it is fast
> anyway and I have a fair bit of spaire storadge in all of my old harddrives.

Yes, it’s perfectly possible; there’s no particular reason why you can’t
run server software on a desktop (unlike Windows, where you often can’t
because of licence stuff).

> Would you reccoment this over buying a domain and webspace and is it fairly
> easy?

No, I wouldn’t particularly recommend it; for a start, ADSL is (as the
name suggests) asynchronous — much, much more download than upload
bandwidth, so actually serving a site is going to be quite slow and may
also interfere with your normal usage. I assume cable is the same. It’s
a good way of learning how to set up server software, but if there’ll be
more than a very small amount of traffic you probably want real hosting.

--
Benjamin M. A’Lee || mail: bma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
web: http://bma.subvert.org.uk/ || gpg: 0x166891C7