Re: [LUG] Finding IP address from Mac address

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Rob Beard wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> A while ago (possibly before Christmas) I setup a router for a friend
> which was running OpenWRT (a Buffalo Airstation) which was used to
> extend his network wirelessly.  It didn't provide DHCP as he had a
> server which was already providing this, it was basically configured to
> be a wireless bridge.
>
> Now his network has changed and he wants me to setup the router to act
> as a normal cable router now but I can't for the life of me remember
> what IP address I setup for this router (or even if it's on the same
> subnet).  I've tried various combinations with no joy.  It's working as
> a switch perfectly well although I can't seem to reset the thing (I've
> tried pressing the reset button when it's turned on, pulling the power
> out and holding reset and putting the power back in and nothing is working).
>
> Before I give up, I just wondered if anyone knew if there was any way I
> could find the IP address out of the device by searching via Mac address?
>
> I've had a look in the ARP cache and it isn't appearing, and I've also
> checked my DHCP logs on the server in the hope that it was configured to
> pickup an IP that way but it looks like it is configured statically and
> it isn't playing ball.
>
> Anyone got any ideas how I might be able to coax out the IP of this thing?

You might want to try the arping command..

So put your box on the LAN, and in one window run tcpdump -n and in
another arping the MAC address and see if it replies.

Or ping broadcast addresses - set your PC to 192.168.0.1, netmask
255.255.0.0 and ping 192.168.0.0, then 192.168.255.255. Then try with PC
at 10.0.0.1, ping 10.255.255.255 and 10.0.0.0. You need the -b flag to
ping and need to be root.

Another way might just be to connect PC to router with a cross over cable,
tun tcpdump on the PC and turn it on - it ought to make a few arp requests
early on..

Good luck ..

Gordon