Re: [LUG] Finding IP address from Mac address

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 21:29:14 +0100, Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> A while ago (possibly before Christmas) I setup a router for a friend
> which was running OpenWRT (a Buffalo Airstation) which was used to
> extend his network wirelessly.  It didn't provide DHCP as he had a
> server which was already providing this, it was basically configured to
> be a wireless bridge.
>
> Now his network has changed and he wants me to setup the router to act
> as a normal cable router now but I can't for the life of me remember
> what IP address I setup for this router (or even if it's on the same
> subnet).  I've tried various combinations with no joy.  It's working as
> a switch perfectly well although I can't seem to reset the thing (I've
> tried pressing the reset button when it's turned on, pulling the power
> out and holding reset and putting the power back in and nothing is
> working).
>
> Before I give up, I just wondered if anyone knew if there was any way I
> could find the IP address out of the device by searching via Mac address?
>
> I've had a look in the ARP cache and it isn't appearing, and I've also
> checked my DHCP logs on the server in the hope that it was configured to
> pickup an IP that way but it looks like it is configured statically and
> it isn't playing ball.
>
> Anyone got any ideas how I might be able to coax out the IP of this
thing?

> Ta,
>
> Rob

I have traditionally tried assigning myself an IP address in each of the
common ranged (10.x.x.x/8, 172.16.x.x/12, 192.168.x.x/16) and broadcast
pinging... and if that failed, running Wireshark and monitoring things
whilst I turned the device off and then on again.

However, I have now found "Autoscan Network" (autoscan-network.com) does a
pretty good job of finding things.

Grant.