Re: [LUG] BBC NEWS | Technology | OLPC software to power aging PCs

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009, James Fidell wrote:

> Gordon Henderson wrote:
>
>> People get annoyed when you do this. Really annoyed.
>
> I think you miss my point.  I was suggesting that a logical extension
> of the "sugar on a stick" idea might be that PCs just evolve into a
> source of connectivity and CPU cycles, with people having their own
> environment and data on highly portable storage.  Anywhere that wanted
> to offer the service could then provide such PCs -- on the train, in
> hotels, aeroplanes, waiting rooms, departure lounges and so on.  All
> you'd have to carry would be your storage.

Ah OK. Indeed.

Not sure in the current real world though - I know my friend who travels
to the US a lot doesn't like taking data with him - which is why it's all
on amazon servers based in Europe... I've not had a need to "busines
travel" abroad for some time now, but all my "data" is also stored remote
to my phone/laptop/netbook to having a device stolen/investigated, etc. is
an inconvenience, not the end of the world..

Gordon