Re: [LUG] BBC NEWS | Technology | OLPC software to power aging PCs

tom wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-06-26 at 13:46 +0100, James Fidell wrote:
>> tom wrote:
>>
>>> Unfortunately it leaves stuff WIDE-OPEN! From there you'd have to make
>>> sure all disks are securely encrypted so others cant touch them
>> What disks?
> The hard drives that are on all the machines in schools etc due to
> pressure from MS and co. You cant back up 1300 school kids to usb drive!

Schools and corporate environments are obviously places you'd have a
different policy anyhow (and I think there's a strong argument for not
having local disk for many users in either case).

I had more in mind the possibility of being able to walk into an
"Internet cafe", or use a friend's PC, or even perhaps PCs in hotels,
on aeroplanes, libraries and so on.  Just plug in a device you carry on
your keyring, belt or around your neck and boot up and you get exactly
the same environment as you have anywhere and everywhere else.

James