Re: [LUG] BBC NEWS | Technology | OLPC software to power aging PCs

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009, James Fidell wrote:

> tom wrote:

>>> What disks?
>> The hard drives that are on all the machines in schools etc due to
>> pressure from MS and co. You cant back up 1300 school kids to usb drive!
>
> Schools and corporate environments are obviously places you'd have a
> different policy anyhow (and I think there's a strong argument for not
> having local disk for many users in either case).
>
> I had more in mind the possibility of being able to walk into an
> "Internet cafe", or use a friend's PC, or even perhaps PCs in hotels,
> on aeroplanes, libraries and so on.  Just plug in a device you carry on
> your keyring, belt or around your neck and boot up and you get exactly
> the same environment as you have anywhere and everywhere else.

People get annoyed when you do this. Really annoyed. You might get away
with it at a friends place, but not in a public place/terminal. It would
not surprise me one bit if some people called the police too, thinking
you'd damaged their PC. (Espeically in the US - Look, terrorist, he's
using Linux!)

Just carry a netbook and the means to get it connected - Wi-Fi, mobile,
whatever.

Gordon