Re: [LUG] BBC NEWS | Technology | OLPC software to power aging PCs

If you look at sandisks U3 usb mass storage pens you can install a
bunch of programs onto them. When plugged into your pc a second start
menu like button is created and you can then access your documents etc
as if it was your pc. on top of this the keys contents may all be
encrypted and the programs often have internet back up capabilities,
such as syncing with calenders or online docs. eg evernote

link: http://software.u3.com/SoftwareCentral.aspx?skip=1

im sure you have seen this before - but it really is a fantastic idea
- a pc merely is a interface device to the internet and a secure pen
drive.

Well then you have the problem of people loosing the pen drives - but
i would have to say if the information was that secret one would
splash out for a pen drive with finger print reader or ask yourself
whether this data should really be travelling around with you... ?

Dan

2009/6/26 Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx>:

>>> On the other hand, the logical extension of this is perhaps that you
>>> could have "your" entire computing environment stored on some sort of
>>> "ultra-portable" storage and could then use any PC just as a source of
>>> CPU cycles and connectivity.  To a limited extent it's probably possible
>>> to do it already.
>
> I know I'm replying to the wrong bit of this thread, but I seem to have
> lost the earlier emails, but I have a friend who does just this.
>
> He carries a Dell mini 9 thing (Same platform as Acer Aspire One) running
> XP and that's all. He uses Google apps. and Amazon storage. (in Europe)
>
> He considers the netbook a "disposable" item as he travels frequently. He
> had no passwords, etc. stored on the device itself, so if it's siezed by
> US customs (He travels to the US a lot), then it's no big deal (Other than
> another $300 to buy a new one)
>
> Gordon
>
> --

Bill Cosby  - "A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid
ones that need the advice." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/b/bill_cosby.html