Re: [LUG] BBC NEWS | Technology | Windows 7 pricing gets unveiled

Rob Beard wrote:
> Okay having re-read the article, it looks like the retail boxed version
> of Windows 7 will only be available as a full version (rather than an
> upgrade) but will be available at the same price as the Vista Upgrade
> until 31st Dec 2009.  So we're looking at £80 for Windows 7 Home
> Premium, £189 for Windows 7 Pro and £199 for Windows 7 Ultimate.

With America once again scoring by paying 30% less than us (according to
IT Pro) I see this as another example of M$ snatching defeat from the
jaws of victory.  For those who (for whatever reason) are compelled to
use M$ OSs Windows 7 will be a good choice once released - certainly far
better than Vista.  However the hefty price tag will have two results:

a) dissuade people from upgrading their OS.
b) give more power to the pirates who have probably already defeated the
time limit on RC1.

Had the versions been announced with a *top* price of around £150 for
Ultimate I think many more people would have felt inclined to buy them.
M$ could have scored very well as the reduced price would have been more
than offset by the increased sales.  As it is M$ have created another
self imposed banana skin.

Kind regards,

Julian