Re: [LUG] email

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009, Simon Williams wrote:

>> Gordon Henderson wrote:
>>> On a personal note, I more or less gave up caring if my email
>>> address was published or not, and just developed the tools and
>>> means to deal with it. I've had the same email address since 1995
>>> now ... I use the + system for tracking, but the down-side of that
>>> is that 95% of all webshites have an email validation system
>>> written by some dick-head of a spotty nerd who thought he/she knew
>>> what email addresses look like and decided that plus signs were not
>>> valid.
>
> "+ system for tracking"? What's this?

Check my email address gordon+dcglug@ ...

I can put +anything I like after gordon and before @drogon.net and my
email system will accept it, so I can create a new email address on the
fly - so when I started to get spam to gordon+aria, then I knew they'd
either sold my email address or had a virus/trojan infect one of their
PCs...

I think some spammers are wise to it though.

Gordon