Re: [LUG] email

On Wed, 2009-06-24 at 08:11 +0100, James Fidell wrote:
> Dan Lewis wrote:
> > get your own domain = unlimited email addresses and then just tell the
> > domain to forward all incoming mail ending with the domain to gmail
>
> And then wait for someone to fake addresses in your domain as the
> originating address for millions of spam messages and watch the bounces
> come flooding in :)

Has this actually happened to you? I've not seen this in several years
of using a 'catch all' domain for my email.

I find it rather useful as I can use a different email address for each
and every company I supply one to. Then if I start receiving spam on a
particular address I can just dump it to /dev/null using procmail.

So far this has been a perfect spam solution. It's also interesting to
see which companies have either been compromised or have sold my email
address to the spammers. Evans and Cotton Traders are two that have
stuck in my mind although there have been a few more.

Sophos Plc, The Pentagon, Abingdon Science Park, Abingdon, OX14 3YP, United Kingdom.
Company Reg No 2096520. VAT Reg No GB 348 3873 20.