Re: [LUG] email

Paul Hirst wrote:

> Has this actually happened to you? I've not seen this in several years
> of using a 'catch all' domain for my email.

As we provide website hosting at ZyNet, we often set up forwarding for
the hosted domain.

Until recently it was very common for domains with catch-alls to be
sought out and spammed. I think this is less common, but it still
happens with sufficient frequency I wouldn't rely on it. The main
problem is once you use a catch-all people forget which addresses they
have used, so when they are spammed they can't say "I only use x, y, z",
and thus have to eat the backscatter.

I don't know off hand how many domains we have left with a catch-all
(I've been migrating folk away), but a significant proportion of domains
with catch-alls get abused in a year.

> I find it rather useful as I can use a different email address for each
> and every company I supply one to. Then if I start receiving spam on a
> particular address I can just dump it to /dev/null using procmail.

Typically you can also do this with either a "+" or "-" extension,
depending on the mail server.

i.e. simon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx delivers to simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, but
you can filter on the extension if and when needed.

Although I tend to just create the addresses on the fly, rather than
accept all and dump the abused ones. Usually dated one
"20090623@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" or "20090623microsoft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx".

To answer the original question, I use my own virtual server which is a
tad slow but reliable.

Get your own domain is the best advice, if the provider turns out to be
poor you can always migrate somewhere better.

Google Mail is still good. I don't know if AOL allow you to host your
own domain, but their free email seems good as well and isn't mentioned
much.

Gradwell (gradwell.com) still does hosted email - not cheap - but they
assume you'll want up to 100 POP or IMAP boxes in their cheapest
package. So mainly aimed at businesses. I think a few of the LUG members
know Peter, and his address is on the web, so you can always go around
with the heavies if they let you down.

 Simon