Re: [LUG] Ubuntu 9.04 install.

Grant Sewell writes:
> On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 21:03:41 +0100
> Rob Beard wrote:
>> jon.davey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > ...It's OK now though. I have sucessfully got ubuntu 9.04 installed
>> > onto the harddrive of my lappy. :)
>> >    Strangly the way I solved it was by installing XP. Then running
>> > the installer from within Windows. It worked a treat.
>> >
>> That's good, I understand installing as an application runs a little
>> bit slower but the main thing is you got it working.
> It's barely noticable for the most part.  Mandrake used to have a
> similar feature many moons ago, where the system gets installed into a
> series of large files on a VFAT partition and loop-mounted at boot-time.
>
> I ran Ubuntu on my laptop like this ("WUBI" system) for a couple of
> months last year... new laptop, didn't want to rock the boat regarding
> warranties and money-back-guarantees, etc.  Once I'd found out how to
> get all the relevant non-working bits of hardware working, and once the
> guarantee period was over, the drive was repartitioned, Windows got
> shrunk (well, re-installed sans all the HP rubbish) and Ubuntu
> installed properly.
>
> The most annoying thing I found about having a WUBI system was that if
> Windows had not shutdown cleanly, the FAT/NTFS partition was marked as
> "unclean" and Ubuntu's initrd would not mount the partition
> automatically - it needs an explicit "--force" kind of thing to make it
> ork, which (obviously) wouldn't be done by default.  So you'd be sat
> there, having to boot into Windows just so you can shut it down cleanly
> so you can boot into Ubuntu.  Daft!  (Yes, I know there are other
> methods too...)
>
> Grant.
No, I'm not running windows any more...
...I only needed windows to run some kind of instillation program. When
asked about partitioning I used all of the drive so it's a full Ubuntu
system. Kind of ironic but I expect if I had kept the earlier version of
Ubuntu on there I would have been able to do the same thing without using
windows.