Re: [LUG] Ubuntu 9.04 install.

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 21:03:41 +0100
Rob Beard wrote:

> jon.davey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > jon.davey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> >> LOL !
> >>

> > ...It's OK now though. I have sucessfully got ubuntu 9.04 installed
> > onto the harddrive of my lappy. :)
> >    Strangly the way I solved it was by installing XP. Then running
> > the installer from within Windows. It worked a treat.
> >
> That's good, I understand installing as an application runs a little
> bit slower but the main thing is you got it working.

It's barely noticable for the most part.  Mandrake used to have a
similar feature many moons ago, where the system gets installed into a
series of large files on a VFAT partition and loop-mounted at boot-time.

I ran Ubuntu on my laptop like this ("WUBI" system) for a couple of
months last year... new laptop, didn't want to rock the boat regarding
warranties and money-back-guarantees, etc.  Once I'd found out how to
get all the relevant non-working bits of hardware working, and once the
guarantee period was over, the drive was repartitioned, Windows got
shrunk (well, re-installed sans all the HP rubbish) and Ubuntu
installed properly.

The most annoying thing I found about having a WUBI system was that if
Windows had not shutdown cleanly, the FAT/NTFS partition was marked as
"unclean" and Ubuntu's initrd would not mount the partition
automatically - it needs an explicit "--force" kind of thing to make it
ork, which (obviously) wouldn't be done by default.  So you'd be sat
there, having to boot into Windows just so you can shut it down cleanly
so you can boot into Ubuntu.  Daft!  (Yes, I know there are other
methods too...)

Grant.