Re: [LUG] Mounting Partitions

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Jun 2009, Rob Beard wrote:
>
>> Tom Potts wrote:
>>
>>> It all depends what your trying to use the pc for and the loading of the same.
>>> If its only got a gig of ram then swap may be useful. Obviously RAM would be
>>> faster but if you hardly ever use over 1G - and a linux server (?) probably
>>> wont get near that unless you do some serious DB work on it - then swap is a
>>> better option than 3G of ram doing nothing or not a lot.
>>> I'm also not sure how swap works these days - in theory you can have a near
>>> infinite amount of swap whereas as 32bit system can only ever use 4G of ram.
>>> Tom te tom te tom
>>>

>> Technically, on Ubuntu at least and I assume other distros, it is
>> possible to use over 4GB memory on a 32-bit system, or at least it is
>> using a 32-bit OS with 64-bit capable CPU by using the server kernel
>> although I believe each process is limited to 4GB.
>>

> A moden Linux kernel (2.6) can support up to 64GB of RAM on a 32-bit
> platform.

I wonder how long it'll be before we start to see desktop boards that
support that much.  By my calculations my latest motherboards can
support about 16GB assuming I stick in 4GB dimms, can't think what I'd
need that much memory for though.
> A single application can only ever see 3GB of that RAM though. Need to
> move to a 64-bit processor to see more.
>
> I'm sure you can create ramdisks bigger than 4GB in such a system though,
> and run many copies of big programs

That's probably not a bad idea that, cache things like OpenOffice and
Firefox in a ram disk and then run them from that.  Maybe that'll
increase the startup speed of OpenOffice a bit (although saying that, I
installed Ubuntu on a P4 2.4GHz with 640MB Ram today and even with a
lowish amount of memory it was still surprisingly snappy starting up
OpenOffice).
>> That's what I'm running on my laptop (Ubuntu Desktop 32-bit with the
>> server kernel), it has 4GB Ram so I can squeeze out the extra 750MB out
>> of it.  Not sure if it makes a blind bit of difference most of the time
>> but it does mean that I can fire up the odd couple of gig Virtual machines.
>>
>> I dare say though 1GB should be plenty for something that is just
>> running as a squid cache.
>>

> When I wur a lad... First squid cache I built probably didn't have more
> than 64MB of RAM. I remember issues with RAM and some motherboards too -
> early Pentiums (or was it late 486's!) had off-chip cache and although you
> could add in more than 32,64,X RAM, you might find that only the first
> 32MB got cached!

Yep it's all moving so quickly.  My first PC was a Cyrix 486slc33 with a
massive 2MB Ram.  I remember it well, memory was so expensive, something
like £100 a meg, was around the time of the earthquake or something in
Taiwan which bumped up the memory prices.  I was a tad gutted as I
didn't have enough memory to run Doom.  I dare say 4GB in my notebook is
overkill but it wasn't much difference in price so I figured I'd might
as well stick in as much as it would take.
> My AAO has 512MB of RAM and rarely swaps - but mainly because I don't run
> enough on it to make it swap. My small PBXs have 256MB on-board, but 140MB
> of that is taken up by the root filing system (ramdisk), leaving a mere
> 116MB free for applications to use.
I don't think my swap gets used that much, I only have about a 600MB
swap partition (not fussed about hibernation mode, takes longer to
hibernate than it does to do a fresh boot!).  I do tend to have a lot of
Firefox tabs open usually.

Rob