Re: [LUG] Mounting Partitions

On Thursday 11 June 2009 14:10, Austin Gossmeyer wrote:
> > Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 13:48:17 +0100
> > From: gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx
> > To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Subject: Re: [LUG] Mounting Partitions

> > > How do I deduce which is the fastest?
> >
> > The hdparm command will do a gross speed test, but the best way to get it
> > faster is to not have swap, but buy more memory.
>
> At the moment it has a gig of ram.
It all depends what your trying to use the pc for and the loading of the same.
If its only got a gig of ram then swap may be useful. Obviously RAM would be
faster but if you hardly ever use over 1G - and a linux server (?) probably
wont get near that unless you do some serious DB work on it - then swap is a
better option than 3G of ram doing nothing or not a lot.
I'm also not sure how swap works these days - in theory you can have a near
infinite amount of swap whereas as 32bit system can only ever use 4G of ram.
Tom te tom te tom