Re: [LUG] Mounting Partitions

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009, Rob Beard wrote:

> Gordon Henderson wrote:
>> A moden Linux kernel (2.6) can support up to 64GB of RAM on a 32-bit
>> platform.
>>
> I wonder how long it'll be before we start to see desktop boards that
> support that much.  By my calculations my latest motherboards can
> support about 16GB assuming I stick in 4GB dimms, can't think what I'd
> need that much memory for though.

Some 3ish years back I did install some boards with 32GB of RAM in them.
Not quite desktops though - quad opteron boxes running ome custom chip
layout/simulaion software. They had huge data sets. Not quite desktop
though!

>> A single application can only ever see 3GB of that RAM though. Need to
>> move to a 64-bit processor to see more.
>>
>> I'm sure you can create ramdisks bigger than 4GB in such a system though,
>> and run many copies of big programs
>>

> That's probably not a bad idea that, cache things like OpenOffice and
> Firefox in a ram disk and then run them from that.  Maybe that'll
> increase the startup speed of OpenOffice a bit (although saying that, I
> installed Ubuntu on a P4 2.4GHz with 640MB Ram today and even with a
> lowish amount of memory it was still surprisingly snappy starting up
> OpenOffice).

It's quick enough on the Acer with a 1.6GHz processor. Of-course vi and
latex is even faster...

Gordon