Re: [LUG] Kernel 2.6.30 is out ...

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009, James Fidell wrote:

> Grant Sewell wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 19:21:13 +0100
>> Paul Sutton wrote:
>>
>>> I remember when the 2.0.30 was out,  :)
>>>
>>> Paul
>>
>> My first was 2.2.14.  Just a mere youngster. :)
>
> *Cough*
>
> I have emails discussing getting Linux working on a Thinkpad running
> the 1.1.4<something> kernel with a DX4-100 processor.  I'd already had
> it running on a few 386-<not very fast at all> type boxes before then
> though.
>
> Them were the days when you could fit the entire kernel sources on a
> single floppy.  Who remembers the TAMU and SLS distributions (or even
> HJ Lu's boot/root)?

SLS.

I got it on a tape shipped over from the UK when I was working in the US -
1994/5ish... It all fitted on a Sun DC150 tape. First boot was on a DX4/66
PC. It may even have had 32MB of RAM and 280MB hard drive. We had to write
6 floppys, boot off floppy, then NFS mounted the data off one of the Suns
and complete the intallation from that.

We predicted Suns demise at that point, but ...

Them were the days...

Switched to Debian (0.96?) when I came back to the UK.

Gordon