Re: [LUG] DNS Servers and Test server

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009, Brown Richard wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I hope everybody is enjoying our summer at last. Just a quickie. I
> want to point a domain name to an ip address and start to host a web
> site. This will be the first of several sites hosted. What is involved
> in building a domain name server please and is it better to simply
> rent some space to do this task please? If so, have you a
> recommendation?

Never actually replied to this myself - but you've had a lot of good
replies - I'll just add: Don't do it yourself, but pay someone to do it
for you.

And do a lot of research first - google, thinkbroadband, other forums,
etc.

A couple of my customers use 123-reg - they're OK - not perfect and have
had issues recently, but seem to have gotten much better and have been
quite stable recently. They have a nice control panel that will let you
fiddling with most aspects of the domain.

If you've already gotten the domain registered, then it's harder to move
and sometimes "better the devil you know", but not always. If they allow
you to choose your own nameservers and you really do want to run your own
nameserver, then you might want to look at http://www.everydns.com/ You
point the nameservers of your own domain to their servers, then tell their
servers where your server is and they then get the data off your own
server. The world sees their servers, so yours can remain quite secure. I
have a couple of friends using them with their nameserver behind their
home ADSL connection.

I use totalregistrations to register domains, but I run my own
nameservers. I'm currently a server down, so looking for various options
for myself. (And one option might be to stop doing it myself!)

> The other question relates to the server itself. Is it possible to
> test how secure it is please? The server is at ip address:
> <87.127.140.184>

I think others have done this - good luck!

Gordon