Re: [LUG] DNS Servers and Test server

Hi Chris

On 2 Jun 2009, at 10:32, dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi Rich,
>
> Is it your home connection and do you have a dynamic IP address? If it
> is dynamic and if your router supports it, you can resolve a
> hostname to
> your IP by using DynDNS.com. I use them all the time, your router will
> tell DynDNS when/if your ip changes. Though I'm not sure how useful it
> is if you intend to run multipal sites.
>
> As for security, you will need to allow a couple of ports to be open
> on
> your firewall at the very least, 80 for normal web traffic and 443 for
> https. It depends what other services you intend to run on the server.
> You can use nmap to port scan your IP address, it's in all the repo's
> for Linux and there is a Windows binary available too:
> http://nmap.org/download.html
>
> If you are interested in hosting your websites in an actual data
> centre
> I can offer you webspace, email chris 'at' openxs.co.uk and I'll set
> up
> an account you can try out, they come with unlimited everything
> (within
> reason).
>
> Here is a quick port scan of the IP address you supplied.
>
> Starting Nmap 4.76 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-06-02 10:21 BST
> Interesting ports on 87-127-140-184.static.enta.net (87.127.140.184):
> Not shown: 972 closed ports
> PORT      STATE SERVICE
> 21/tcp    open  ftp
> 22/tcp    open  ssh
> 25/tcp    open  smtp
> 53/tcp    open  domain
> 80/tcp    open  http
> 88/tcp    open  kerberos-sec
> 106/tcp   open  pop3pw
> 110/tcp   open  pop3
> 139/tcp   open  netbios-ssn
> 143/tcp   open  imap
> 311/tcp   open  asip-webadmin
> 389/tcp   open  ldap
> 445/tcp   open  microsoft-ds
> 515/tcp   open  printer
> 548/tcp   open  afp
> 625/tcp   open  apple-xsrvr-admin
> 631/tcp   open  ipp
> 749/tcp   open  kerberos-adm
> 2002/tcp  open  globe
> 3659/tcp  open  unknown
> 5222/tcp  open  unknown
> 5269/tcp  open  unknown
> 5900/tcp  open  vnc
> 7777/tcp  open  unknown
> 8008/tcp  open  unknown
> 8086/tcp  open  unknown
> 8087/tcp  open  unknown
> 10000/tcp open  snet-sensor-mgmt
>
> As you can see, there are a few services that could probably be shut
> down for a webserver.
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris
>
> On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 14:50 +0100, Brown Richard wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> I hope everybody is enjoying our summer at last. Just a quickie. I
>> want to point a domain name to an ip address and start to host a web
>> site. This will be the first of several sites hosted. What is
> [...]
Thanks for the reply. I already have domain space available for me on
shared hosting. What I needed to be able to do is to provide a server
for file backups and hosted file maker pro solutions. Hence the mac
mini and co-loco. If I need some more server space I'll give you a
shout.

Thanks.
--
Kind regards